Lemon Ginger Poppy Seed Bread is the definition of springtime. Fresh ginger gives this classic recipe a subtly spicy twist. This bread is light, delicate, and perfect in the morning with coffee or tea.
Spring is here! Normally, this means warmer temperatures, picnics in our neighborhood park, hanging out at coffee shops or bars with outdoor seating, and anticipating the end of my school year. But nothing is normal right now. Parks, coffee shops, and bars are all closed. My last day of in-person teaching for the year was five weeks ago. And it hasn’t even been that warm here in Philadelphia (which is probably a good thing because it keeps people indoors).
But there are some parts of springtime that not even a global pandemic can take away. Birds chirping outside our window in the morning. Colorful blossoms on the trees. And lemon poppy seed bread.
My dear husband, Colin, is crazy about lemon and ginger. It’s his flavor combo. As in, if something comes in a lemon ginger variety, you can be 100% sure that’s the option he’s going to pick. He often starts his day with lemon ginger herbal tea (which is confusing to me as a person who needs coffee to function). So when I decided to ring in springtime with a loaf of lemon poppy seed bread, it seemed only natural to add fresh ginger. Turns out, the ginger gives it just a mild spiciness and totally works. Colin, you might be on to something.
You can eat Lemon Ginger Poppy Seed Bread warm or cold, spread with butter or cream cheese or just plain, for breakfast or for dessert or for a snack. You can share it with friends or eat it during self-quarantine. I promise it will be delicious no matter what.
Happy spring, loves! Stay well and (safely) enjoy the sunshine.
Lemon Ginger Poppy Seed Bread
- 8×4 inch loaf pan
For the lemon ginger poppy seed bread:
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
For the lemon glaze:
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
Make the lemon ginger poppy seed bread:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour an 8×4 inch loaf pan, or line it with parchment paper.
- Grate lemon zest and ginger. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- With a mixer on medium speed, beat together sugar and oil until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
- Turn mixer speed to low. Add half of the flour mixture, then half of the milk, then the rest of the flour mixture, then the rest of the milk. Mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in lemon zest, lemon juice, ginger, and poppy seeds.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
- Remove the loaf from the oven, let it rest for 15 minutes, and then gently turn it out of the baking pan. Let it cool on a wire rack.
Make the lemon glaze:
- Whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- Drizzle glaze over the loaf.