These 30-Minute Kale Meatballs pack extra nutrition into a classic comfort food. Plus, they’re ready in just half an hour, making them perfect for busy weeknights.
I am the kind of person who thrives on a plan. Before I go to the grocery store, I plan out everything we’ll eat for the week and I make a detailed shopping list. I even design my meal plans so that they 1) use up any leftover ingredients I have at home and 2) don’t require me to buy several expensive items in the same week. Call me crazy, but shopping with a good plan is one of the biggest ways my husband and I stick to a grocery budget of $50 per week.
However, these are strange times we’re in right now. It’s been very difficult lately to predict what grocery stores will have in stock. Two weeks ago, I couldn’t get any eggs. Last week, no bananas. Not one to be found. These are challenging times for a person who likes to follow a plan.
In all seriousness though, it makes me realize how fortunate I am to have access to such an enormous variety of food right at my fingertips. Truly, on a normal day, I can buy almost any type of food my heart desires any time I want. I am aware that this is not the case for all people. So, I can stand to be a little more flexible right now.
This kale meatball recipe was born when I planned to make spinach meatballs, only to find that the store was completely out of spinach. But I already had the spaghetti in my cart! The ground beef was already defrosting at home! So, I took a deep breath and looked around for an alternative. Lo and behold, there was a full display of kale. If spinach can go in a meatball, surely kale can too.
As it turns out, I like kale meatballs better than spinach meatballs! The kale adds more flavor than spinach, and it’s less watery so the meatballs hold together really well. I think I’ll keep 30-Minute Kale Meatballs in my recipe rotation even when spinach is back in stock.
30-Minute Kale Meatballs
- Food processor
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 cups kale roughly chopped and tightly packed
- ¼ cup parsley leaves tightly packed
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the kale and parsley to the food processor and grind into very small pieces. Aim for small specks, but don't go so far as to purée the greens.
- Mix together all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Roll into 1½-inch balls. Place the meatballs, evenly spaced, on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs for 20 to 25 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.
- Serve with spaghetti and tomato sauce. Top with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese.
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can finely chop the kale and parsley.
- You can make your own Homemade Bread Crumbs for this recipe!